Saturday, December 31, 2011

Here's to 2012!

I remember growing up one of my favorite meals was Mom's enchiladas. I also remember we didn't have them often because they were so time consuming to make. Preparing the meat, cooking each corn tortilla in oil, rolling the enchiladas while trying to make sure the corn tortillas didn't tear. One day I really wanted Mom's enchiladas and anyone who knows me, knows I love short cuts in the kitchen. I decided to take the same ingredients of Mom's enchiladas, minus all the oil, and make it casserole style. I served it to the family and they all said it had the same great flavor as Mom's but it was better because it wasn't bogged down with all that oil. So here's how I do it:

I start by preparing aprx 3 lbs of ground beef
To season the meat, I use dried onion flakes (or fresh onion if I have it), garlic salt, seasoned salt, pepper, one can of Macayo's diced green chilies and one small can of chopped black olives.
I add all my seasonings as the meat is cooking, but remember, if you buy fatty ground beef you want to wait to season it because you will have to drain all the grease and you will drain the seasonings with it.
After the meat is browned, I add 2 large cans of Macayo's Red Enchilada Sauce (mild as no one in my family really likes it too spicy but you can get Hot if you prefer) and let it heat through.
Next, layer a casserole dish with corn tortillas so it covers the bottom, add a layer of your meat sauce, a layer of cheese and repeat. I normally make it three layers and any left over sauce and cheese goes all over the top.
Bake in an oven at 350 for about 25 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Let the casserole sit for 15 minutes or so. If it's too hot, it will all fall apart when you try to cut into it.
I am telling you, it is delicious! It's not as fattening as the old way, since you aren't cooking every tortilla in oil.
I hope you try it out and let me know what you think! Happy cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment